The Joy Gift covered dish has been POSTPONED until Dec. 16th.
MJPC welcomed three new members during morning worship service on this date and enjoyed cake in their honor at the family fellowship hour afterwards...
Pictured (L to R) are Ron Foreman, Jeanne Foreman and Donna McCracken Hines.
The Easter Cantata program, At The Ninth Hour, words by Tom Long and music by Allen Pote, was held on April 8, 2018 @ 3:00 PM. The program which can be opened and viewed in a video file is available by clicking here.
Here are some photographs taken of the Easter Holy Week Services at the West Jefferson Baptist Church.
The weekday bible study began meeting in the church parlor on this date to begin their Lenten study led by Pastor, Will Heyward. A couple of extra study books are still available at $5 each...see Will for more information.
* The men of the church, under the direction of session Building and Grounds leader, Charles Young, spent a work day in January replacing all the old fluorescent lights which required a ballast with new, LED bulbs that are MUCH brighter throughout the hallways, fellowship hall and the lower level of the church.
* Thanks to all the dedicated workers!
The MJPC members enjoyed a meal in fellowship hall following worship on December 3rd at which time donations were accepted for the annual Joy Gift offering.
The joint worship celebration with holy communion included the First Baptist Church, Mount Jefferson Presbyterian Church and West Jefferson Methodist Church.
* Fellowship Hour follwing worship on August 20th was made special wih a cake to honor our accompanist, Sabrina Oliver as she takes a short (three month) sabbatical to travel on a missionary trip to Bolivia to teach music and English to children, many of whom are orphans in schools that she will be visiting.
* Pictured (lower right) are Sabrina (center) with her brother Tim and her mother following worship during which time Sabrina and Tim played piano and violin, not only for the introit, but also during the hymns and for the postlude. Follow this link and open the Live Streaming archive dated August 20, 2107 in order to listen to the performances. Be sure to use your cursor to move ahead to the 51:27 minute mark for the offertory...truly inspirational!
* God's blessings on Sabrina during her several months long missionary travels.
Click on the image (right) to see a full size flyer...print one out for your refrigerator!
Congratulations! Another year in a life well lived...
* On the 1st Sunday of Advent, the Sanctuary shows off a beautiful new look for the holidays with the annual Chrismon tree donated by the Estes family and wonderful greenery everywhere.
* Thanks to the many volunteers who helped with the decorating this season.
* A "special" fellowship dinner following Sunday's worship featured a German meal provided by Lew Mullinax.
* Thank you Lew for sharing your generous feast for all to enjoy!
Today - November 13th - is Helen's 92nd birthday! Best wishes for many more to come.
* The inspirational movie about WWII Medal of Honor winner Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector who saved the lives of 75 of his fellow soldiers in Okinawa opened in more than 3000 theaters in the U.S. on November 4th.
* Please share with fellow members of your faith group and GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!
* To learn more about Desmond Doss, click here.
* To get more information on the production of the movie, click here.
* The MJPC Worship in the Park service on September 11th at the lower picnic shelter pavilion in West Jefferson below the library couldn't have been more perfect - the weather, the food and the camaraderie were the best!
* Delicious burgers and hot dogs prepared by our world famous barbecue chefs (Keith Hartzog, Tom Willis and Dick Workman, pictured lower right) were outstanding and all the side dishes were scrumptious as well...and don't even begin to worry about whether there would be enough desserts because there were PLENTY of goodies for even the most demanding of sweet tooths!
* See the photo albums of thumbnail pictures here and on the attached pages that have the faces of many, many "pampered Presbyterians!"
The Ashe County Video Crew (ACVC) will begin meetin on Monday, September 12th at 7:00 PM at the church. All imterested middle and high school youth are invited to come and check it out.
The ACVC is a joint community program sponsored by MJPC and the Ashe Coumty 4-H.
* Lew and Karen hosted fellowship after worship today to celebrate the future arrival of daughter, Margo and her husband Greg's baby due o/a December 12th...
* Best wishes go out to them as they await the addition to their family.
Today's worship at Mount Jefferson Presbyterian Church, and Fellowship Hour following the service was an occasion to celebrate Keith McCutchen and his family's time as a blessing with us since March 2013. The service included special music and a feast afterwards in Fellowship Hall.
*Revisit the introduction of now Dr. McCutchen to our midst in 2013!
* Best wishes, Keith at your new position at Kentucky State University!
* During Fellowship Hour this date, the MJPC members were treated to a celebration to honor Callie Powell's birthday, her graduation from ACHS and the beginning of her new adventure, i.e., her August departure to Western Carolina and the beginning of a college career.
* Congratulations Callie!
On a date 50 years ago, Bill and Jeannette came to MJPC where Reverend Smith agreed to perform the marriage for the young couple as they weren't of the minimum age to wed in Tennessee.
* Following worship on May 1st, a reception was held during our Fellowship hour after which a ceremony was held where Bill and Jeannette renewed their marriage vows with Pastor Will Heyward officiating.
* Congratulations to the "newlyweds!"
* Bill and Jeannette Fuller renewing their marriage vows 50 years after they wed at MJPC in 1966.
* Scroll over the thumbnail photographs at the right to see pictures from the ceremony on May 1st at MJPC as well as the reception during our Fellowship hour after worship.
The MJPC family celebrated with confirmands Mahaley Cronk, Athena Estes and Samuel Tsolis along with Ella McCutchen who was also baptized this day during the worship service.
* The Ashe County Video Crew (ACVC) is a group of teens who meet to produce video shorts for fun and for community projects. We are jointly sponsored by the Mt. Jefferson Presbyterian Church and 4-H.
* Open the Photo Gallery to view videos produced by the ACVC in 2015.
* Open the below file to read/learn more about the ACVC.
* An Our State Magazine piece highlights MJPC's Lee and Mannon Eldreth and what they cherish, the connections made during Christmas.
* Kudos to Lee's Trees and Lee and Mannon for a heartwarming video story about the season.
* Governor Pat McCrory applauded North Carolina's Christmas tree industry today as he received the official trees and wreaths for the State Capitol during a ceremony.
* Joined by members of the North Carolina Christmas Tree Association, the governor welcomed this year’s winners of the association’s contests for the State Capitol trees and wreaths.
* The wreaths presented to adorn the state capital are provided by Peak Farms in Jefferson, N.C. owned by Rusty and Beau Estes. They are the Grand Champion wreath winners of the annual North Carolina Christmas Tree Association Wreath Contest.
* Members of the Estes family were on hand to present Governor McCrory with several wreaths that will decorate the State Capitol.
* Congratulations, Estes family!
* For the MJPC Anthem on Sunday, November 29, 2015, the congregation was treated to special holiday music from our own Music Dirctor, Keith McCutchen as accompanied by Shannon Hoover, bass and Thomas Taylor, drums.
* Thank you Keith, Shannon and Thomas for your inspirational gift to MJPC.
* As we enter the season of celebration of the birth of our Savior, the MJPC sanctuary has been decorated with a beautiful 18' tree from the Rusty Estes family and Chrismons from our church for our member families and guests to enjoy.
* Also, as part of our church's display, the tree in the Fellowship Hall was from Lee's Trees, and Lee and Mannon Eldreth.
* Finally, thanks to Rusty Barr and family for the wreaths and the garland that adorn the sanctuary.
* Thanks to the Estes, Eldreth and Barr families for these gifts of the season.
* The ASU Campus Ministry, of which our own Children's Program leader Leila Wright is a part, led the worship this Sunday during church services.
* Pictured (L to R): Olivia Thorn, Madeline Perrou, Leila, Stephanie Hankins, Nick Gallagher and River Price.
The worship hour on Sunday, August 9th was led by the children who attended last weeks "G Force" Vacation Bible School and the "This is Our Story" Youth Conference at Montreat, NC.
* THE PUBLIC IS INVITED!
* For Immediate Release: Monday, July 6, 2015
* West Jefferson, NC – The Mount Jefferson Presbyterian Church will present the Japan Mass Gospel Choir in concert, Thursday July, 16 2015, 7 pm at the church. There will be a rehearsal/workshop, also at the church, starting at 4 pm. Both are open to the general public. Youth and children are welcome to participate in the workshop and the concert finale.
* For more info contact: Doris Facsko at 336-846-7481
* The eleven day Southern Gospel Tour, is from July 11 - July 21, 2015. The tour, based out of Kings Mountain and Charlotte, N.C., will m Spreading throughout Asheville, Durham, Raleigh, S.C. G.A. and Nashville Tennessee. The touring ensemble is only part of the 1000 voice ensemble that recorded their debut album “POWERFUL” (Living In His Body As One). This groundbreaking project lets Japanese Gospel choirs, directors and singers work in partnership with an American producer, musicians, engineer and promoters for the first time in history. Many Gospel choir directors were thrilled to hear about this project and eager to join. JAPAN MASS CHOIR consists of over 50 local directors, with each their own choir members. We also recruited participants through other media such as social networks, newspapers and radio shows.
* The rehearsals started in January of 2014, in different parts of Japan. The joint rehearsal and recordings and music video shoot took place March, 14, -15, 2015 at Aoyama Gakuin University hall in Shibuya, the culture center of Tokyo. The CD entitled “ POWERFUL” (Living In His Body As One), will be released in the States and other countries in early July. Downloads are available at all online outlets. There will also be a 35 minute documentary DVD available.
* If you are interested in supporting or becoming a Sponsor of JMC's Southern Gospel Tour please contact us at: email@example.com
* Sponsorship packages / Donations are also available, please send an email to request your package or find out how you can support.
* The fellowship time after today's worship was an opportunity to say congratulations to MJPC's newest high school graduates and wish them well as they embark on new opportunities at college in the fall.
* Pictured (L to R) are: Thomas Sexton, Morgan Hudler, Dalton Lyles and Austin Price.
* Good luck to each and every one!
Rev. Brown was guest pastor while Will Heyward enjoyed some vacation time during the holiday. Tommy has recently become Director of the Farm (Feed All Regardless of Means) Cafe in Boone and will soon begin holding "Pop Up Cafes."
He is risen...He is risen, indeed!
Mae Weed, from the newly combined Grandfather Home for Children and the Barium Springs Home for Children, both orphanages founded by the Presbyterian Church, shared the message this Sunday.
* The fellowship hour following worship this Sunday was a special celebration in honor of Helen Barr's 90th birthday (right).
* Among the many well wishers from the MJPC family, Helen was also surrounded by a large family gathering (pictured below).
- Scroll over the thumbnail pictures at the right to view many more photographs of the celebration.
There was a special celebration as the Mount Jefferson family helped Erma Young celebrate her 90th birthday after church today.
NOTE: When viewing thumbnails, use your mouse to left click on the (F)ast, (M)edium or (S)low controller found in the upper right corner of any image displayed...doing so will run a slide show of all the images at the rate of speed selected. Enjoy!
During worship this date, Jason and Kendall Einbinder presented their daughter, Emery Jane, to receive the sacrament of baptism.
* Open and view the photographs to the right as well as in the thumbnail sketches to see photographs from this morning's fellowship hour after church to honor the service of Savannah Rountree.
* Following her visit next week to Montreat with our youth, Savannah will be leaving the area to attend graduate school in Chicago.
* Thanks Savannah for your service and best wishes in your future endeavors.
* Mount Jefferson Presbyterian Church members who use Chrome as their default web browser may be frustrated when the RSS link on the News and Events page doesn't yield the intended results.
* Click on the below link for a "fix" which our web host, Ric Kolseth has recommended to enable you to fully utilize the RSS link.
The PAIN Youth assisted Esmerelda in presenting today's Children's Sermon...check it out below!
* The ASU Treble Choir under the direction of Dr. Priscilla Porterfield, with pianist Ms. Elizabeth Hill were guests of MJPC and provided two numbers by David Guion, arr. John Jacob Niles for the offertory: At the Cry of the First Bird and The Hebrew Children on March 2, 2014.
* Thanks to Dr. Porterfield and the ASU Treble Choir for sharing with our congregation during worship.
* This is the second number performed by the ASU Treble Choir.
* The Fellowship Committee will start supplying paper goods & drinks for fellowship after the worship service, in an effort to get more people to sign up to host fellowship in 2014.
* All you will need to do is bring the munchies (and remember, please keep it simple!)
* Please sign up to host fellowship by checking the list on the board next to the water cooler & signing up for a Sunday!
Reverend Will Heyward, accompanied by Evans Leslie, Secretary for the session, installed the Elders for the class of 2016 - pictured (l to r) Steve Murphree, Karen Mullinax and Charles Young.
These are two pictures of our Music Director, Keith McCutchen, from the many, many photographs on Facebook which he shared from his performance in Brazil for posting on our website.
Another picture of Keith, accepting plaudits from the audience in Brazil for the Soulful Celebration performance, and another Facebook link.
The Mission Committees project to make pillowcase dresses to send to the Blackburn Learning Center in Jamaica has been completed and 26 dresses were made. Thanks to everyone who participated.
* As the MJPC Summer Open House was drawing to a close, the Celebration Banner was also nearing completion.
* Is your square complete? Has it been added to the banner?
* As a congregation, we willingly join together in service to Christ. Each person's selection of activities in which he/she can commit their time and talent help to make MJPC a vibrant and inviting church community for members and visitors alike.
* How can you help?
The Covenant Presbyterian Church Choir, under the leadership of Minister of Music Wanda Ramm (right, lower photo) and Church Musician Jeff Bottoms, performed a spiritual program of song entitled "Feel the Spirit" by John Rutter as part of the Mount Jefferson Presbyterian Church service this day.
Covenant Presbyterian is in Wendell, NC and the choir performs a weekend tour to other towns so as to serve other congregations to draw closer to God and each other through the message of the music.
"Feel the Spirit" titles included:
"Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho"
"Steal Away" with soloist JoAnn Lanzi, alto
"I Got a Robe" with soloist Angi Petry, soprano
"Every Time I Feel the Spirit" with soloist Mary Selke, soprano
"Deep River" with soloist Joe Hess, bass
"When the Saints Go Marching In"
Two recipients of this year's Haddad Scholarship received their awards from Miriam Haddad.
Open the thumbnail photos to the right; pictured (L to R) are Miriam Haddad reading the award along with Cole Price and Taylor Price, award recipients.
Awardees are shown receiving their awards from Miriam Haddad.
* The church family gathered in Fellowship Hall after service on May 12th to wish Iris Morphew a happy 90th birthday - although the official date wasn't until May 15th.
* Scroll over the thumbnail pictures to the right of Iris and see more pictures from the celebration.
* NOTE: When viewing thumbnails, use your mouse to left click on the (F)ast, (M)edium or (S)low controller found in the upper right corner of any image displayed...doing so will run a slide show of all the images at the rate of speed selected. Enjoy!
Pictured (L to R):
Wanda Gervasi and Iris upon entering Fellowship Hall
Jim Morphew, Iris and Annie Ciaverilla
Wanda Gervasi presenting roses to Iris
Mannon Eldreth reading a poem written for Iris by Gail Blackburn
Jim Morphew and Iris
Al Farthing offering up well wishes from the entire congregation
MJPC has a new means of communication with the congregation called Skylines Call Tree.
The Call Tree lets us record a voice message, and then Call Tree will call each person & play the recorded message. We can also send a text to your cell phone if you would rather get messages that way!
We will still be using emails to get info out to the congregation...having Call Tree simply gives us additional communication options from which to choose when we need to get info to you ASAP.
Now, YOU need to contact Doris Facsko, Church Secretary, to provide input as to how you will want to be informed using this new service. Don't delay!
* We're pleased to welcome Mike back to MJPC for this mornings worship service, April 7, 2013.
* Mike and his family will be moving to Wynne, Arkansas where he will begin his ministry as Pastor. Best wishes, Mike!
* Enjoy the YouTube video of Mike's sermon, "Doubting Thomas," below.